New year, new you, right? And that goes for date night, too! So, toss out those tried-and-true favorites and taste bold new flavors like never before – both on the plate and by the glass – with Your Grand Rapids Guide To The Newest Restaurants, Breweries, and Cideries in West Michigan!
For The Foodies:
- The Sovengard: A modern biergarten and kitchen focused on sustainability and downright delicious Scandinavian cuisine. Beer braised pork shoulder in a cider reduction, anyone? And what says winter wow more than an Old Fashioned crafted from 12-year Irish whiskey, muddled cherry and orange, sugar, and bitters?
- Ando Asian Kitchen (Coming Soon): Tuck into true Asian comfort food on the West Side, brought to you by the owner of the oh-so-delicious Maru Sushi & Grill on Cherry Street.
- The Wheelhouse Kitchen & Cocktails: Brought to you my Meritage Hospitality Group (think local favorites like Twisted Rooster and Crooked Goose), The Wheelhouse is a contemporary spin on a traditional American bistro, highlighting Michigan-grown ingredients, craft cocktails, and more. Did we mention an 85-seat bar and porch, perfect for summertime sipping?
For The Craft Beer Lovers:
- The Knickerbocker Brewpub & Distillery: A rustic, seasonal menu with a focus on local sourcing, nose-to-tail cooking, heirloom produce, and scratch cooking by fire? Believe it or not, the food is just the backdrop to the impressive lineup of brews and spirits… if you can stop staring at the mind-blowing architecture of New Holland’s new digs long enough to take a sip!
- Atwater Grand Rapids: This biergarten and tap house brings Detroit-born-and-made brews to the heart of GR, including long-time favorites like the Vanilla Java Porter or the Dirty Blonde (wheat ale with crushed orange peel and coriander = glass empty).
- City Built Brewery (Coming Soon): Just past Monroe Ave’s 6th Street Bridge, something strange and wonderful is brewing… and it’s City Built. Priding themselves on making the strange familiar and the familiar fresh, City Built’s quirky lineup of brews (from a Flower Power Green Tea Chamomile Pale Ale to a Summer Love Lemon Basil Saison) will be sure to pique your palate like never before when their doors open in early 2017.
For The Hard Cider Seekers
- Vandermill Grand Rapids: For all who’ve had a long-time love affair with Vandermill’s hard ciders (available at most grocery stores throughout Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin), the wait is over. Cozy up at Vandermill Grand Rapids and sip from their selection of ciders, pressed from local West Michigan apples and served up in delicious, signature flavors like Totally Roasted (balanced spice with a nutty finish), Blue Gold (packed with semi-sweet blueberry flavor), and Ginger Peach (bright ginger bite balanced with peachy sweetness).
- The People’s Cider Co. Tasting Room: Sip the finest hyper-local dry draft cider at this Eastown tasting room (bourbon barrel-aged Scrumpy cider, anyone?) and revel in the craft that cider master Jason Lummen has been perfecting since 2002.
- Ridge Cider Co.: A trip to this Grant, MI Ciderhouse may be a bit off the beaten path for Grand Rapids cider-seekers, but a trip that’s more than worth it for a taste of Pure Michigan by the glass. Try their exotic Roots cider (a citrusy start followed by a warm, ginger finish) or the sweet, smooth flavors of the classic Peach Ridge (slightly dry finish with a big peach punch and earthy finish)… or wait to see what new ciders join the lineup next on Ridge’s ever-changing tap list!
Looking for even more date night ideas for the new year? Check out Your Grand Rapids Guide To Cozy Winter Date Nights!